Thursday 12 May 2011

Lyra and her dæmon moved through the darkening hall..


 "Lonely? I don't know. They tell me this is cold. I don't know what cold is, because I don't freeze. So I don't know what lonely means either. Bears are made to be solitary." 


 "When you choose one way out of many, all the ways you don't take are snuffed out like candles, as if they'd never existed." 


 "...But it gradually seemed to me that I'd made myself believe something that wasn't true. I'd made myself believe that I was fine and happy and fulfilled on my own without the love of anyone else. Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I'd spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn't matter, because there was all the rest of the world to visit... And I thought: am I really going to spend the rest of my life without feeling that again? I thought: I want to go to China. It's full of treasures and strangeness and mysteries and joy." 


The first thing i am going to do when i finish my dissertations is read His Dark Materials again. It has been too long.


No comments: